Tuesday, July 1, 2008

6. June 26: Big Island - Kona to Hilo

Wednesday night we got back to our B&B (the Inn at Kulaniapia) pretty late (again), so we weren't able to take advantage of the main feature: the private waterfall! So Thursday morning while my beautiful new bride slept in (again), I walked down to the picture-perfect waterfall. The owners of the place seemed to be a mismatched couple. He is a hippy-type from California that came out to Hawaii and stayed. She appeared to be an uptight, arrogant, aristocrat (or at least wannabe). In any case, the waterfall had been only accessible by helicopter or presumably serious hiking until they bought the land around it, and built the road and eventually the inn (and several others). Quite a cool project. When Yumi was ready we hit the road, this time heading north and took in a few more nearby waterfalls: Rainbow falls and Pe'epe'e Falls. We stopped for Mexican food at a place called Tako Taco which I was delighted to see. You see, as I'm learning Japanese, I come up with tricks to try to remember new words and characters. Yumi thinks I'm silly and have the sense of humor of an old man when I tell her my little tricks. For example, to remember ohashi (chopsticks), I envision saying "ohayo ohashi" (good morning, chopsticks). Well to remember tako (octopus), I thought of eating a tako taco! Vindication was mine. :-)

After our satisfying lunch, we headed on to the Waipi'o valley. It's a gorgeous coastline that would have been even more gorgeous if it weren't enveloped in fog and drizzle. From there we drove the Akoni Pule highway, stopping at a few view points, en route to the airport.
Once there, we ate a quick dinner and flew to Maui, arriving at 8:45pm. After picking up our rental car, we drove about an hour to our hotel, the Kahana Beach Resort. It was late and we were tired but there would be several hours before we got to sleep. First, we got there after the reception was closed, so we had to go through an elaborate proceedure to get the keys. We schlepped our stuff up to the 5th floor but the keys didn't work. So I walked next door to their sister property and they gave me new keys. Then we decided to do laundry (out of necessity) but the machine used quarters and we didn't have enough. So I walked back next door and got some quarters but not enough to wash and dry two loads. So I walked over to a bar I could see down the street. There I got us some (very late) dinner and some quarters. I hiked back to the hotel and we started doing our laundry. We didn't finish until 1 am which didn't give us much time to sleep because we already had plans for breakfast the next morning with my Mom and Marilyn at their hotel. Lastly, the "hotel" is really a condominium/resort/timeshare sort of thing. I was fine with it but Yumi was hoping for something a little nicer; she was not pleased that our bed pulled down from the wall!

No comments:

Post a Comment