Tuesday, July 1, 2008

1. June 20-21: Oahu - Pre-Wedding

The first step in our journey was just to get to Tokyo's Narita airport which was no small task. We left the apartment around 5:00 pm for our 10:00 pm flight! Getting to the airport isn't the easiest thing -- we took 3 hours and 3 or 4 trains (and it cost around $25 each), but we made it. The 7-hour flight was relatively uneventful but I had never been so warm on a flight. I'm usually cold and brought a sweatshirt with me which I never even considered wearing. I was also assigned (by my bride-to-be who claimed the window) the uncomfortable middle seat and ended up with a sore neck. The weirdest thing is that we arrived in Honolulu 12 hours BEFORE we left Tokyo (10:30 am)!
.
Our wedding coordinator, Sugako, kindly picked us up at the airport and whisked us off to a city office where we got our marriage license. Sugako then dropped us off at our hotel (the Ilikai). Then we walked over to the nearby Ala Moana mall where we shopped for a couple of hours (or more accurately we ate lunch together and then she dropped me off at Barnes & Noble and she shopped).
.
Then we walked along the Waikiki beach to the Sheraton where we met up with my Mom and her best friend, Marilyn. Mom took us to Yoshiya the Japanese restaurant at the Sheraton for a fantastic meal.
.
..
The next day, Sugako picked us up at 10:00 am and took us to Phil's Tux Shop where I was measured and then went across the street to Starbucks to meet our officiant, Kahu Bruce Ah Leong to discuss the ceremony. After an hour or two going through things, he left and we remaining three discussed other issues regarding the reception and other logistics. We then picked up the tux and Sugako dropped us back off at the Ilikai where Yumi and I parted ways for the evening. She met up with a friend and I walked back to the Sheraton to meet up with Mom, Marilyn, my brother Larry, sister-in-law Mary, and niece Sarah for a nice Italian meal at Villa Paradiso. The real excitement started on Sunday. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment