Sunday, December 2, 2007

Where to Begin?

I've been procrastinating starting this blog for some time and now find myself with a huge backlog of topics to discuss: Japan, the Phd, my job, things with Yumi, upcoming trip to Thailand...

I'll just post a summary now and write more specifics on each topic later, as I find time.

Japan
This is the 4th country I've lived in (counting the U.S.) and the 20th or so country I've visited and I find it among the most difficult in many ways. The good part is that it is a developed (over-developed?) country with all of the modern amenities (and then some!) and a great public transportation system. The difficult part is not only not knowing the language but not even being able to read most signs. Learning Japanese is important and in fact one of the explicit reasons for moving here but had largely been on hold while the PhD was under way. I have learned one of the 3 (yes 3!) alphabets (hiragana, not katakana or kanji yet). It's really infantilizing to find myself mute; pantomiming everything. Hopefully I'll make headway on the language next year.

So far, my favorite "learning Japanese" story is the following. Shortly after arriving, Yumi and I were shopping for our air conditioner/heater (apartments here come with NOTHING). Obviously, Yumi was doing all of the talking and I was largely there for the ride and the occasional opinion. We were at one of the stores and Yumi was talking to the salesman, so I was left to my own devices. I was looking around the store for words in the hiragana alphabet to practice. I came across: くる くる (kuru kuru = rotates) but to my untrained eyes it looked like くそ くそ. Easy mistake right? Well as I was pronouncing it out loud (kuso kuso), Yumi swung around with a deer-in-the-headlights / horrified look on her face because I was saying "Shit! Shit!" We've had a few good laughs about it since.

PhD
The long, hard slog is almost over but there is still significant work to be done. I did manage (barely) to get my dissertation submitted on the deadline of November 1st. Because it was done under the gun and thousands of miles away from my professor, significant editing must be done before the viva (defense). Also, I must prepare for the viva. I will be examined by one of the world's most prominent chemists, Christian Reichardt. He literally wrote the book on solvents (Solvents and Solvent Effects in Organic Chemistry to be exact) and the definition of polarity (the official IUPAC definition is by him). Seeing as how my dissertation is on the polarity of a new class of solvents (ionic liquids), that is quite intimidating. The viva will be on April 30 in Belfast. After editing my dissertation, I will reread his book and recent articles and review other major articles on the areas of my research.

Job
I'm really enjoying the job, although when this gig is over, I need a change from teaching. It is fine but I need a new challenge (preferably in public policy/politics). Anyway, I'm teaching 7-12th grade science and essentially tutoring 9-12th grade math. How is that possible? Well we have a total of 16 students in grades 7-12! I teach them in groups: 7-8th grade (7 students), 9-10th grade (5 students) and 11-12th grade (4 students). We use fundamentalist Christian workbooks for all of their subjects. We teach science, history, and English and the rest is self-paced. The science books actually aren't that bad. The content is pretty accurate and the books include many experiments that the kids like. We just skip over the religious stuff.

About half of the kids are international or of mixed background and half are atypical Japanese. Our students include students from Zimbabwe, Kenya, Germany, and Brazil as well as two American/Japanese, and one Dutch/Japanese. Among the Japanese students, all are fluent in English (the language of instruction) and many have lived abroad (the U.S., U.K., Australia) or have special educational needs (one is Asperger or mild-Autistic). The kids are pretty good for the most part and it's really nice to get to know them so well since we spend so much time together. Discipline (my least favorite part of teaching) and grading/paperwork (my second least favorite part) are minimal due to the small numbers. It's really a great job (even the pay is decent) but not exactly the most altruistic or challenging I've ever had. Once my purpose for being here has been fulfilled (learning Japanese and learning about Japanese culture), it will be time to move on (2-3 years, I'd guess).

As for the teachers, they are nice and seem like pretty good instructors. It is a worldly bunch: 3 Yanks (including me), 2 Brits, 1 Kiwi, 2 Aussies, and a Cunuck. Our principal is from Spain. Including him, there are 10 of us. Two are single, 7 are in relationships with Japanese, and one is with an Australian who is of Japanese descent! And best I can tell one of the two single teachers on staff is with many Japanese. The staff is relatively young (all in our 20s and 30s except one teacher and the principal).

Yumi
Things with Yumi are good. We have a nice place in Kawasaki (wedged in between Japan's two largest cities -- Tokyo and Yokohama). We've gotten along well and enjoyed each other's company; no small feat given the stress we were both under with moving, new jobs, the PhD, etc. As for what the future holds, I won't tip my hand. If/when there is news to report, I will.

Thailand
I have 3 weeks off for the Christmas holidays. Yumi and I will be going to visit her family in Hiroshima around New Years but since she doesn't get much time off and I do, I decided to take a 9-day vacation to Thailand. I think it will be my first tourist vacation since I first came to Japan in July, 2005! Hard to believe!

I'm really excited for the trip. I'll probably split the time between Bangkok and environs (Ayuthaya, Phenom Rung, Khao Yi) and the south (Ko Phi Phi, Krabi). I'm excited to hike the rain forests, see the wildlife (elephants, monkeys...), visit the temples, Buddhas, and ruins, and EAT. I LOVE Thai food. Yummmmm....

I have a lot more to say about all of the above topics and more, but I'll end the post here and write more later.

12 comments:

  1. こにちわ、ブライアンーさん:

    Quite an adventure so far! In Meguro-ku (western Tokyo), about 30 km NE of you, I found fun and cheap Japanese learning experience 1 hour a week via MIFA volunteers (http://www.mifa.jp/mifa2/index100.htm).
    There's probably something like it near you in Kanagawa, just have Yumi contact the local government office or else send English email to TNVN (http://www.tnvn.jp/) for suggestions.

    Also, if you haven't already done so, go to BookOne in Shibuya (or maybe Yokohama too) and pick up a copy of the first "Japanese for Busy People" book, plus a few other Japanese learning items (e.g., flashcards) with which a Kanagawa volunteer and/or Yumi can help you at a scheduled time each week.
    (BookOne also has English media materials, in case you are missing that...) Scheduling weekly time with Japanese language partner who wants to learn English (Yumi or one of her friends?) is also a good way to practice both.

    If you focus on 1 new kana per day, you should have the rest down before Valentine's Day (fingers x'd). Then the flash cards &/or workbooks for kanji will come in handy. (Great to study during commute.) After learning kana in the US, I strove to learn 500 kanji
    during my year in Japan -- but probably only got to the point of recognizing about 150 and creating about 1/2 that from memory. Nonetheless, that is enough to read some signs and menus, as well as stumble along on maps.

    Another suggestion: Take digital photos of map of new place [or copy over web photo] you're visiting before you leave the house. Then you can show the photo on your camera to a Japanese person
    for directional help. (Beats pantomiming "the station exit where the dog statue is," for instance...)

    DON'T ORDER ROAST DUCK IN YOKOHAMA'S CHINA TOWN, a total rip-off, but do check out how to get Kabuki-za [Kabuki theater in Ginza] tickets periodically discounted for foreigners. (They also have simultaneous English translation headphones for rent on-site, and you can picnic at your seat as the shows are like double or triple features.)

    For next post-Ph.D. Job, if you are ready to stay longer in Japan, you might consider a JSPS Fellowship (http://www.jsps.go.jp/english/e-fellow/fellow.html), CFR AIF Fellowship (http://www.cfr.org/about/fellowships/iaf_japan.html), UNU Fellowship or Fulbright Fellowship.

    In Bangkok, do go to the open air market (of course, tasting the fried stinging insects is your own call). For affordable G-rated (maybe PG-rated) massage, stick to open air locations at temples, on beaches, &/or [carefully selected] places where they wear conservative cotton (not colorful or skanky) uniforms and massage multiple people in same room at once. Your favorite retreat to English while there could be Tamarind Cafe (http://www.tamarindcafe.com) on sukhumvit soi 20 (1/2 block down narrow street from fancy hotel, on opposite side of street): excellent, fresh food and free WiFi! Also, be sure to try whatever exotic tropical fruit are in season (rambutan, lychee and longan being among my favorites).

    Well, that's about all I have time for, for now. Keep in touch and がんばって ください! 〜桜暖 (Dann)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dr. Dann! Thanks so much for all of the great advice! Yumi and I have looked around for Japanese lessons but many don't start until next year. I've only looked half-heartedly because I'm still pretty preoccupied with the PhD. Hopefully I can find time to balance both in the new year.

    Thanks for the job suggestions as well. As I think about what I want to do next, my mind often gravitates towards Washington, D.C., so hopefully you'll still be there if that comes to pass. It's still a while away but I like to plan ahead and I've always loved D.C./politics/public policy.

    So... I'm still waiting for stories and pictures from your recent big news!

    Thanks again,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a busy guy. We are both Cancer and like many of the same movies. Have fun in Thiland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taeryn Kim and Patty Ho have been to Thailand. I am happy to hear from you but have no sorts of advice. Yay, Brain!
    Love,
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to hearing about all of your adventures, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uncle Jerry - same movies, cancer, and similar hairstyle. :-) Good thing we have some things in common since our politics never will be!

    By the way I'm looking forward to hearing about your vacation and hopefully seeing some photos.
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Krista,

    Great to hear from you! I enjoy getting your pictures and had to laugh at all of the fall pictures you sent last time -- I guess it's novel to someone who spent her life in So. Cal. but not to those of us who grew up in Ohio. Glad you're enjoying life east of the Mississippi.

    Take care,
    Brian, aka Brain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ben! How's the new life in Columbus? Have you found the art house cinema yet? Silly question, I know. Two nights ago, I just saw my first movie in 4 months (Waitress)! A far cry from once or twice a week. I miss our movie group. Looking forward to hearing about life in the State Capitol.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to hear from you...how is the sushi and sake?

    Let us know when you will be back in the States.

    If Hilary is elected President, we may join you in Japan:)

    JEFF

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jeff!

    Great to hear from you. How's the trip with Brian, Debbie, and Ben going? I'm sure you were happy with Arizona's victory over the Browns - although it seems they easily could have lost on the last play of the game.

    So far the sushi is fine -- I've never been one for sake.

    Not sure when I'll be back in the States next, but I'll let you know. Hopefully it will include a swing by AZ.

    If Romney is elected President, I may not return! :-) I'm no Hillary enthusiast (Obama's my man -- I'll post on that another time) but I'd take Hillary over any Republican (with the possible exception of Ron Paul).

    Say hi to everyone in AZ (and CA and France) for me!
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  11. When it comes to Japanese brews, if you are not a sake fan, it's possible you have yet to try the right one -- there are as many varieties as temperatures to serve them (chilled to very warm). But there are also other drinks (besides Asahi or Sapporo beer) which you might like to try, from the very sweet Umeshu (plum wine, best cut with a few ice cubes, club soda, etc., to mellow the sweetness) to the 'earthy' Shōchū, including the Okinawan regional Awamori. Check out Wikipedia for details on each...

    かんぱい!

    桜暖

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dann, you're a veritable wealth of information! I will look forward to trying some new brews soon.

    Thanks again,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete