Saturday, December 15, 2007

Blog Holiday / Steroids

Well this will be the last post until at least Dec. 25 when I get back from Thailand. Hopefully I'll be able to post stuff from the trip before I head off to Hiroshima 2 days later.

The big news of the week is the Mitchell Report on steroids in baseball. As an aside, he was intricately involved in the peace process in Northern Ireland. I read his book on the subject, Making Peace. It was an interesting inside account. I heard Mitchell (also the former Democratic Senate majority leader from Maine) on NPR today saying he got more cooperation from the sides at war in Northern Ireland than he did from baseball players.
.
What I'm wondering is why I hate Barry Bonds more than Roger Clemens. I've never liked either but have disliked Bonds much more. He played in Pittsburgh during my college days there and he was always surly and rude to the media and fans alike (he never seemed to care that the latter paid his salary). I've found Clemens to be arrogant and abrasive, quite similar to Bonds. Both are phenomenal athletes and among the best in their generation, if not the best. What is Clemens' reputation with the media and fans? I find it hard to believe that I dislike Bonds more because of his race, but I'm finding other differences between them hard to find. Maybe Bonds' steroid use was suspected for a very long time and Clemens revelation was only today. Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment