Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Thailand day 6: Bangkok

Friday, December 21st
Today was the most relaxed day in Bangkok (it's all relative). I left the hostel around 9am and walked to the nearest ferry stop where I caught a boat all the way to the northernmost stop, then turned around and took a boat south to a stop near the Grand Palace. I walked around some markets and then to the Monk Bowl village where I saw how they used to make... well... bowls for Monks. They weld 8 strips of steel with copper solder. It involved hammering, too. In any case, I bought one as a souvenir and continued walking around. By 4:30pm I was back at the hostel collecting my bag and taking a shower before venturing to get the 12-hour overnight bus to Krabi.
.
The woman at the hostel reception wrote down the name of the bus station and what city bus to take for me in English and Thai to get to the particular bus station (there are at least 3). So I waited for a 1/2 hour at the bus stop as I watched buses come and go, but not mine. Eventually as I was about to give up and take a taxi, the bus arrived. It snaked through the city for an hour before arriving at where the bus station used to be. My LP did mention that people were talking about moving the bus station, but I didn't think it would actually happen. The money collector on the bus went and got someone who she thought might speak English to help me. As it turns out, she was right. Pairote and Dao are both graduate students (math and math education respectively) and happened to be going there themselves. They told me to follow them and we all got off that bus and got onto another bus for about 10 minutes. There they helped me buy my ticket for the 8:30pm bus. Then I bought dinner for all of us. Around 9pm, my 8:30pm bus took off. In the small world department, Pairote visited the United States once to see a couple of friends. Where did he go? Somewhere in New Hampshire and Carnegie Mellon!

No comments:

Post a Comment