Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Thailand day 7: Ko Phi Phi

Saturday, December 22nd
The overnight bus arrived in Krabi around 9am. As soon as I got off the bus I had flashbacks to Bangkok -- people started yelling at me for my business. I walked around in a sleep-deprived daze trying to avoid the people following me and yelling at me until I found a shop with someone not yelling at me. There I bought my ferry ticket for 10am. I was picked up and transported to the ferry terminal and we left about 10:30am, arriving at Ko Phi Phi (Don) around 12:30pm.
.
I schlepped my stuff to the guesthouse in the blazing sun (again) and checked in. Then I decided to take a tour to the uninhabited sister island, Ko Phi Phi (Leh) which is famous for being the setting for Leonardo DiCaprio's the Beach. Ko Phi Phi (Don) is one of the places devastated by the tsunami 3 years ago. I had a couple of hours before the 3pm tour left, so I hiked up to a view point which gave breathtaking views of the island.
.
The tour was a mixed bag. On the one hand, I was glad to get a nice tour of the island's beauty, including a beach inhabited by tame monkeys, and two great snorkeling opportunities. On the other hand, I felt completely out of place. I was surrounded by beautiful, superficial people. Muscular, shirtless guys with tattoos and tanned, bikini-clad women. It just all reminded me of one big frat party. And yes, many were drinking and smoking. Thankfully, I did find one couple to talk to. Shannon and his Mom, Naomi. He is an American 20-something from California and his Mom is a naturalized American citizen from Japan. After a nice sunset, the boat returned to the main island and we disembarked around 8pm.
.
I walked around the island for a little while and called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment