Thursday, May 15, 2008

Pride

In today's New York Times, there is an article which talks about Teach For America's most recent recruiting year and it's impressive:
  • TFA will place 3,700 new teachers this fall, up from 2,900 last year, a 28% increase.
  • About 24,700 applied, up from 18,000 last year, a 37% increase.
  • About 11% of the graduating class at Yale applied, 10% at Georgetown and 9% at Harvard.
  • It was the No. 1 employer on many campuses, including at Duke, Emory, George Washington, Georgetown, New York University, and Spelman.
I've had many affiliations in my almost 36 years: Boy Scouts, Heights High, Carnegie Mellon, Pugwash, Teach For America, Peace Corps, Queen's University Belfast, and Democratic candidates and office holders, among others.  I am proud of all of those associations but most proud of Teach For America -- it represents my hardest work and loftiest ideals.  I'm looking forward to hopefully returning to those ideals in my next job (probably 1-2 years from now).

No comments:

Post a Comment