Friday, May 23, 2008

Language (and Culture) Exchange

The blog posts are backing up again... hopefully I can write a few this weekend in between school work, Ph.D. corrections, and wedding planning.
.
In the meantime, I'll write a short post about my language exchange. Yesterday I met my regular language partner, Minae, at our usual place (Starbucks) at our usual time (6:15-8:00pm). We speak about 1/2 in English and 1/2 in Japanese (well she teaches me basic Japanese vocabulary for 1/2). During our English conversations, I find that we're also having a cultural exchange. We often talk about what's going on in our lives which leads to questions such as "is it true that in America..." or "I heard that the Japanese..." I really look forward to our weekly get togethers.
.
Yesterday's tidbits:
  • Apparently there are "host" and "hostess" clubs which are fairly common in Japan. In the former, women go for drinks and find themselves surrounded by attractive men who are there to flatter and entertain them. It seems a bit strange to me, although that's not the first thing and I'm sure it won't be the last that confounds me.
  • Fold (ori) + Paper (gami) = origami
  • Hand (te) + Paper (gami) = letter (tegami)
  • A telling saying in Japan is that the nail which sticks out gets hammered. How true! That explains a lot about this culture of compliance and "harmony."

No comments:

Post a Comment