Sunday, January 18, 2009

Complaints

As a public service I will tell you how horrible Internet Explorer, Net10 Phone, and the Westin LAX are. Really, I'm just looking out for your best interests. :-)

1. Internet Explorer
It started with IE refusing to open certain websites (get your mind out of the gutter - it was innocuous sites like the Cleveland Jewish News). Then it refused to play certain video (again - mind out of the gutter - it was video from sites like Slate.com). Finally, it started crashing on a regular basis. I would guess that I could have found some technical fix but I decided instead to just switch to Mozilla Firefox instead. So far it has been a dream - absolutely no problems whatsoever. A bit of research indicated that I am on the cusp of a wave. Join me.


2. Net10 Phone
Our relationship started off a bit shaky but then we had a good run; in the end it just wasn't going to work out. Net10 is a pay-as-you-go phone service. They wouldn't let me purchase a phone or service from Japan but we got past it and my sister was kind enough to buy it for me. Yumi and I used it in Hawaii during our wedding and honeymoon and it worked out great. It was $30-35 for the phone and service. The problem was when I tried to recharge the credit when I was in Cleveland in December. I called and bought credit but 24 hours later it still wasn't working. I called again, typed in about twenty-seven 19-digit codes and was told to wait another 24 hours. Again it didn't work. Finally, I called back and spent about 2 hours on the phone just to get my $30 back. Their customer service was horrible and ridiculously scripted. Never again.

3. Westin LAX
The price guide for the room said that local calls are $1.75. Pricey, but easier than running down to the lobby. Imagine my surprise when I went to check out and was charged $23 for a local phone call. In my lifetime of making phone calls, I've always understood "local" to mean nearby area codes to which long distance charges do not apply. Apparently the Westin LAX has a different definition, namely, locations within 3 miles of the hotel! Talking to the receptionist did nothing. She spoke to the manager who did nothing. I later talked to Mr. Cliff Sunajo in person and he did nothing. I can't believe they can be so stupid. $23 is nothing to them and surely is not the real cost of the phone call. Is it really in their best interest to antagonize or alienate customers with ridiculous charges and lose their future business? Oh, and just for icing on the cake, the room in this supposed 4-star hotel had a horrible view, the settee was grungy and the carpet was stained. While the Internet Explorer situation resolved itself with Firefox and Net10 did eventually give me my money back, the Westin LAX is far from over. They will be getting a tersely worded letter sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment