Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Life Post-Ph.D. Part III

Friday August 1
Dinner Party
Since we got back from Hawaii Yumi and I have been playing Ticket to Ride (aka the Train Game) courtesy of my sister and brother-in-law. While I am currently winning 10-8 in games won, I've discovered that my wife is neither a good winner nor a good loser. When she wins, she taunts me endlessly with chants of "loser" and when I win she sulks. I have to have a talk with her Mom. In any event, we had three of Yumi's work friends (Yumi, Yuiko, and Miki) over for dinner and games. I was volunteered to make my homemade stuffed pizza which went over well.
.
Saturday, August 2
Akiko, Mariko, and Shoko
We went up to Tokyo again to meet Yumi's college friends for a very nice Italian lunch; 3 courses and dessert. They generously treated us and got us wedding gifts.



.
Indiana Jones
Since we were already in Tokyo, we took advantage and walked around, window shopped and caught Indiana Jones (Indei Jyonzu in Japanese). I was terribly disappointed in the movie and am scratching my head at how critics gave the movie 76% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. I know that some movies need a bit of a willing suspension of disbelief but this movie was a bridge too far from reality. Surviving a nuclear bomb, 3 massive waterfalls, etc. plus the massively inconsistent magnetic fields which featured prominently in various scenes, the "luck" to find the right path to whatever they were looking for and on and on. Blech.

6 comments:

  1. M & I play Ticket to Ride *all* the time. Love it. We'll think of you both next time we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey S! That's so funny that you play, too. Next time we visit, we'll all have to play. I also like the Settlers of Caatan, and Carcassone - do you know those as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I play Ticket to Ride almost every weekend. We generally play TtR Europe, but the Switzerland and Merklin (Germany) versions are fun too. The same group of friends used to play Settlers all the time, but we wore that one out!

    AJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! I didn't realize it was so popular in the U.S. Next time we're in Pgh, we'll have to play a game - it will be interesting to contrast the Europe, Switzerland and Germany versions. My friends in Cleveland and used to play Settlers all the time, too, and wore it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't checked back in with your comments, but yes, we play Settlers and really enjoy Carcasonne. M is a big game dork, so likely we've played it. (Ask to read his paper on mathematical probability in Bohnanza if you need a fun time.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always knew that I liked M., now I have a better idea of why! I can't wait to see the Bohnanza statistics! :-) I play and enjoy that game, too (we call it "the bean game").

    ReplyDelete