Saturday, March 29, 2008

Learn Two, Get One Free!

I'm loving learning Japanese. Finding patterns and figuring things out is very satisfying. This week, I picked up a few tidbits:
.
Sometimes two words combine into another related word:
mitten (tebukuro) = hand (te) + bag (bukuro)
zebra (shimauma) = stripe (shima) + horse (uma)
.
Words which deal with transportation end in sha:
bike = jitensha
car = jidosha
train = densha
.
Insect names end with mushi:
ladybug = tentomushi
snail = dendenmushi
.
I find that figuring out language is like a puzzle (with the three alphabets being an added level of difficulty) which is something I really enjoy. Incidentally my lovely fiancee laughs at my (effective) memory technique in which I try to create "hooks" for new words. For example, for the word ladybug (てんとうむし = tentomushi) I picture 10 ladybugs on my toe!

3 comments:

  1. <Calvin's class>Snails aren't bugs!</Calvin's class>

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one ever said language was scientifically accurate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn! I wish I thought of this earlier: etymology doesn't always correspond with entomology!

    ReplyDelete