Saturday, January 26, 2008

Sweeney Todd

Last night Yumi and I went to see Sweeney Todd (87% positive reviews, compiled on RottenTomatoes.com - my favorite film website) and there is a lot to say. First of all, it was a treat to go out to the movies. This was only the 3rd movie I've seen in 6 months (the others are Waitress, 89% and I Am Legend, 68% - the latter while in Thailand). Back in Cleveland, there were weeks I went to 3 movies in 1 week! It was also really nice to see the film in a central area of Yokohama (Minato Mirai). Not that we did anything else while we were there (aside from eat my first Wendy's hamburger in 6 months), it was just nice to be "in the city." It is also worth noting that while my movies in the U.S. ranged from $1 to $8 (with the majority being $5 Monday Movie Nights at Cedar-Lee and Shaker Square) our movie last night was at the discounted rate of ¥1200 ($11) instead of the normal ¥1800 ($16.50) because we saw the movie after 9pm (although that time was actually preferable to the earlier times). The main reason we don't see more films is not that they are expensive (which they are) or that we are busy (which is also true) but that we just don't get very many worthwhile options. In the U.S. at any one time, I had to choose which I *most* wanted to see among the many choices, here we have to settle for what we can find. Right now aside from Sweeney Todd and I Am Legend, we have the choice between: Silk (8%), National Treasure (32%), Bridge to Terabithia (84%), Bee Movie (53%), Mr. Bean’s Holiday (50%), The Assassination of Jesse James (74%), Aliens vs. Predator (16%), 28 Weeks Later (71%) and a couple of Japanese movies (without English subtitles). The only one which interests me is Jesse James. I'm patiently waiting for No Country for Old Men (95%), 4 Month 3 Weeks & 2 Days (95%), Juno (93%), Diving Bell and the Butterfly (93%), There Will Be Blood (91%), Michael Clayton (90%), Charlie Wilson's War (82%), I'm Not There (80%), American Gangster (79%), and the Great Debaters (79%).
.
Also worth mentioning is that while I quite enjoyed the film, I fear that if I ever take Yumi to another movie like that again, she will become my ex-fiancée. I should have predicted her reaction after she found Pulp Fiction revolting.
.
As for Sweeney Todd, it was incredibly gory and bloody and violent and repulsive. And yet, enjoyable. Gore is not my thing (the blood stuff, not the Nobel Peace Prize-winning, former Vice President - he's thumbs up in my book) but I didn't find that it detracted from the film. Very similar in that respect to Pulp Fiction. I found the story often funny (so over the top at times) and the visuals stunning (a combination of sets, costumes, makeup, and lighting). I also enjoyed the music and the arc of the story, as violent as it was. It was also fun to see Sacha Baron Cohen (Borat) in his small role.
.
The look of the picture was very reminiscent of Edward Scissorhands (93% on RT) (dark, heavy white makeup, crazy hair, sets, costumes, etc.) which isn't surprising since both starred Johnny Depp and were directed by Tim Burton.
.
Burton and Depp's other collaborations have also been enjoyable, quality films including: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (84%), Corpse Bride (83%), and Ed Wood (90%). Tim Burton was also the force behind: the thoroughly enjoyable Big Fish (77%), James and the Giant Peach (94%), Nightmare Before Christmas (97%), Batman Returns (81%), Singles (77%), Batman (72%), and Beetlejuice (79%) while Johnny Depp has chosen some great roles and hit them out of the park: Finding Neverland (84%), Pirates of the Caribbean (79%), Chocolat (62%), Benny & Joon (80%), and What's Eating Gilbert Grape? (89%).
.
I propose that Johnny Depp is the best actor of his generation and while you could quibble with any subjective list, I can't imagine anyone not including him in the top 5 or 10.

2 comments:

  1. "a couple of Japanese movies (without English subtitles)"
    Are most of the movies in English with Japanise subtitles?
    Aunt Peg & I haven't been to the movies more than 4 times in the last year. She wants to see The Bucket List. She likes Morgan. He's in our top 5. Shawshank is one of my favs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most movies are American movies with Japanese subtitles. There are a few Japanese-made movies, as well.

    I like Morgan Freeman too and I would put him in the top 10 for *HIS* generation (which is separate from Johnny Depp's generation). Shawshank is one of my favorite movies, too. I must have watched that a dozen times and I never get tired of it. By the way, the Bucket List got pretty bad reviews (41%) but if it makes Aunt Peg happy it's probably worth it.

    ReplyDelete