Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Scenes from Japan (Part II)

Yeah sure, Hillary and Obama and beating each other up, the Packers are out, Patriots are in pursuit of history, and the Republican primary is riveting (McCain or Huckabee or Romney or Guiliani...?). Nevertheless, nothing is grabbing me as compelling to comment on, so back to Japan we go.
.
Today's topic is commuting and trains in Japan. I love the transportation system here. It is easy and affordable to get around. The system is extensive... the map of train lines is described by the Lonely Planet travel guide as a plate of noodles and I think that is pretty apt. The fares are actually a bit pricey (a typical one-way trip is about $2.50) but just about all employers pay for a commuter pass between your work and home. Train stations are naturally high traffic areas so most have good shopping and restaurants. I also like the walk to and from the stations which gives me more than enough exercise (over 45 minutes of walking per day all told) without having to take time out -- I've lost around 4 kg. (8.5 pounds) since arriving in August.
As for the actual trains, they are very clean and graffiti-free, as are the stations. Trains can get incredibly packed with people but I am lucky that I leave and return early and travel opposite the heaviest traffic. The trains are full of kids in their school uniforms and matching backpacks, business people in their "uniforms" (dark suits for men, and highly fashionable outfits for women), and the occasional elderly person or young, 20-something with bleached hair. Most people have iPods, some read manga or newspapers, others frantically tap out text messages on their cell phones, and many sleep! I have "gone native"; I listen to my MP3 player in the morning (NPR podcasts, of course) and usually nap on the way home. The trains are also incredibly punctual. They are scheduled down to the minute and are rarely late.
.
Apparently, there are problems on packed commuter trains with men groping women so now the 5th car (of 9) are reserved for women only.

6 comments:

  1. "The trains are full of kids in their school uniforms and matching backpacks, business people in their "uniforms" (dark suits for men, and highly fashionable outfits for women)". OK, where are the women? Men sleeping doesn't do it for me. If you get into trouble, tell Yumi the pic is for Uncle Jerry. She knows me, she'll understand. Say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Jerry, if you are looking for pictures of beautiful Japanese women, you can find other websites for that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with uncle Jerry...that if you're not gonna show the highly fashionable outfits...don't tease us either :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guessing you want to see pictures of women for different reasons. I'll go ahead and admit that some of the pictures I use on the site (including the one of sleeping men) were nicked from the internet. I did look for other pictures and decided that that one was the best. I did find one of sleeping women but it didn't illustrate the post as much as the one I chose. I didn't want to take pictures myself of sleeping people on the train for fear of being seen as strange or worse. I will take your comments under advisement but ultimately I am chief writer, editor, and publisher! :-) To paraphrase Michael Feldman (NPR, Whadya Know -- which I actually don't care for that much), if you don't like it, write your own blog. j/k :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I will, heh heh.

    As for being looked at as weird, you have to do it sometimes to get the shot. I've been stared at by security at 10 Downing Street, yelled at by cops in Cleveland and NYC, and been given dirty looks all over, but a few of my shots, I dare say, were totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, taken under advisement. If I can nick a picture from the internet which illustrates my point, I'll do it. If not, I'll try to capture it myself.

    ReplyDelete