Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Curious Case of The Curious Case

Yumi and I went to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button this past weekend and it was enjoyable but hardly worth all of the Oscar buzz as far as I could tell. 13 nominations? The second-highest total of all time? Really? I thought it was well done but you'd think it was the second coming of Citizen Kane with 13 nominations.

For the uninitiated, the film is about the life of a man who ages backwards and his romance with Cate Blanchet's character. It was a nice diversion although after 2 1/2 hours I was itching for it to be over already. I did like the creativity of the story and the execution (the makeup, the period costumes and sets, etc.).

Other odds and ends from our movie experience. It cost ¥1800 per person (around $20) which is hard to stomach but it is what it is and I either accept it or forgo movies altogether. I was already choosy before, now I'm even more so. Despite the steep price, our Sunday matinee was almost completely full. Amazing. It was in English with Japanese subtitles. There were other showing which were dubbed into Japanese with English subtitles. Dubbing is evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment